The early onset.

My trip begins at Lake Louise, the beautiful place I've called home for 10 months.

Heading north along the Icefields Parkway is a drive I've done quite a few times, but it never ever fails to blow me away.


Day one was a beautiful. Overcast skies diffused the harsh mountain light, leaving everything visible and a dream to photograph. I took a small detour this day and headed out to Abraham Lake. By the end of the day I was in Jasper, ready for what I had hoped to be a very productive few days photographing. However, nature does not comply.

Safe to say the warmer months come to a rather abrupt end in Banff and Jasper National Park. A huge winter storm rolled through, dumping massive amounts of snow. I hardly saw a mountain for two days, which made photographing rather lacklustre. I decided to hang around with the hope the weather would lift, and boy was I glad I did.

The morning after the storm was absolutely insane. I finally was able to photograph some MOOSE and then I headed out on a boat cruise to the world famous Spirit Island on Maligne Lake.


What I saw completely blew me away.

I consider myself very lucky to have been able to see Spirit Island in the way I did. It a was scene I doubt I'll ever forget.

After that insane morning in Jasper, it was time to hit the road and begin my long journey west. Over the next three days, I drove from Jasper to Vancouver. It was long but very beautiful. I spent quite a bit of time in Wells Gray Provincial Park, the autumn colours there were the most vibrant across the whole trip. The sea to sky highway was a wonderful drive, with stops like Whistler and Squamish being among my favourites. Brandywine Falls was an absolute treat also. I then met up with my friend Andrew in Vancouver, who showed me some rad places around the area. After shooting a sunset at Lighthouse point, it was time to jump on the Ferry to Vancouver Island. Tofino beckons.


After riding the ferry in the night, I reached Tofino by morning. It was set to be a pretty miserable few days with the weather. Fortunately, the surfers in the area couldn't care less. I spent the day documenting some of the surf culture in the area.

It was so good to be back on the coast.


Day two in Tofino was a day that will stick with me forever.

I went out on a little boat to do some whale watching. After introductions and a quick spin around the Islands our guide informs us that we're heading out to see some grey whales. Suddenly he stops, and starts to chime in on the ever increasing radio chatter... what could have happened? I then heard "definitely a dorsal fin" Our guide then turned the boat and proceeded to gun it up the coast line. Was this real? Could this be actually happening? It was real. I spent the next 30 minutes photographing these majestic creatures in a state of what can only be described as pure jubilation. I was so happy. I had finally seen a pod of Transient Orcas in the wild. I will never, ever forget this day.


After a few days in Tofino it was time to begin the long drive back to Lake Louise.

What an amazing two weeks.


You can find Jed Forster online here:


Sony a7ii, 25mm f2, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6

Fuji XT-3 with a 16-55mm f2.8


Richard McDowell